Deprecation Announced: March 22, 2023
Scheduled End-of-Life: June 20, 2023
Archive Access Removal: September 14, 2023
This article describes the deprecation of the PSOrthoTile item type.
Planet is deprecating the PSOrthoTile item type on Wednesday, March 22, 2023 with plans to formally end-of-life the item types on Tuesday, June 20, 2023. We recommend all customers begin to migrate to the PSScene item type as soon as possible. The PSScene item type provides the same spectral bands and pixel values as PSOrthoTiles.
Planet will continue to publish imagery to the PSOrthoTile item types until June 20, 2023. After June 20, 2023, Planet will no longer publish images to the PSOrthoTile item type while the customers will still have access to the older archive for proceeding months while we update our Data API, Orders API, Subscriptions API, SDK/CLI, and Planet Jupyter Notebooks.
We highly recommend that PSOrthoTile users plan their transition to using PSScene as soon as possible to ensure there is minimal disruption to workflows.
Why is Planet removing PSOrthoTiles?¶
We are deprecating the PSOrthoTile to improve the way customers access our PlanetScope imagery. We recommend customers to take advantage of PSScene, our new PlanetScope item type that unifies 3-Band, 4-Band, and 8-Band assets.
Am I affected?¶
This deprecation announcement affects all users accessing PlanetScope imagery from the PSOrthoTile item type through Planet Data API, Orders API, Subscriptions API, SDK/CLI, and Planet Jupyter Notebooks.
What happens after June 20, 2023?¶
Planet will stop publishing new PlanetScope images to the PSOrthoTile item-type after June 20, 2023. Customers will still have access to the older archive for proceeding months while we update our Data API, Orders API, Subscriptions API, SDK/CLI, and Planet Jupyter Notebooks.
Who should I contact if I have questions or concerns about PSScene migration?¶
Please reach out to your Customer Success Manager or contact us at Planet Support for assistance.
What do I need to do?¶
Review the following top-level table, then step through the Migration Path, below.
|API||What Action Customers Need to Take|
|All||Review the mapping between PSOrthoTile asset types to understand the corresponding PSScene asset types.|
|Data API||Update new quick and saved searches to use the PSScene item type. If applicable, adjust AssetFilter to use PSScene Asset Types.|
|Orders API||Identify the appropriate PSScene bundle, and update order requests to use the PSScene item_type and bundle.|
|Subscriptions API||Identify the appropriate PSScene Asset Types. Create new subscriptions with the PSScene item_type and asset_types, and cancel existing subscriptions for the same AOI. (You cannot edit an item_type of an existing subscription.)|
If you would like to use or maintain any requests or code that uses PlanetScope imagery, your migration path is as follows:
- Review your saved searches and subscriptions for asset types that do not map directly to PSScene assets.
- Update Order API requests to use PSScene bundle types.
Unsupported asset types in PSScene¶
The following assets are unavailable with PSScene:
- PSOrthoTile: analytic_5b, analytic_5b_xml, analytic_dn, anallytic_dn_xml, visual_xml, udm2, and udm
Create new saved searches and subscriptions¶
Before June 20, 2023, create new saved searches and subscriptions using the PSScene item type¶
The following table assists in reviewing the new asset types in PSScene. The first column lists the legacy PSOrthoTile asset and the middle column lists the comparable PSScene asset.
|PSOrthoTile Asset||PSScene Asset|
Review your saved searches¶
- Get your saved searches, either by selecting your saved searches in the Explorer or through the API.
- Cancel any saved searches you no longer need.
- Review remaining saved searches for unsupported asset types.
- For each saved search that contains an unsupported asset type, create a new saved search using the PSScene item type and comparable asset type by choosing to:
- Delete the saved search that contained the unsupported asset type.
Review your subscriptions¶
- Get your subscriptions by listing all active subscriptions through the API.
- Cancel any subscriptions you no longer need.
- Review remaining subscriptions for unsupported asset types.
- For each subscription that contains an unsupported asset type, create a new subscription using the PSScene item type and comparable asset type in the Subscription API.
- Cancel the subscription that contained the unsupported asset type through the Subscriptions API.
Before June 20, 2023, update Orders API to use the PSScene item type.¶
Update Order API requests to use PSScene bundle types¶
- Change all references from
PSOrthoTileitem types to
PSScenein the Order API request.
- For any
PSOrthoTileitem types, search for the appropriate PSScene bundle type and replace it with the new bundle.
- Finally, review all code repositories where you may be making calls using the deprecated item and asset types.
The following table assists in reviewing the new asset types for the updated bundles. The first column lists the legacy bundle types, PSOrthoTile, the middle column lists the comparable PSScene bundle type, and the last column lists the new asset types for PSScene.
|PSOrthoTile Bundle||PSScene Bundle||PSScene Assets in Bundle|
Rate this guide: