Welcome to the NICFI Program Resource Center!
On this page you will find important resources for using the NICFI data.
Through Norway’s International Climate & Forests Initiative (NICFI), anyone can now access Planet’s high-resolution, analysis-ready mosaics of the world’s tropics in order to help reduce and reverse the loss of tropical forests, combat climate change, conserve biodiversity, and facilitate sustainable development.
In support of NICFI’s mission, you can use this data for a number of projects including, but not limited to:
- Advance scientific research about the world’s tropical forests and the critical services they provide.
- Implement and improve policies for sustainable forest management and land use in developing tropical forest countries and jurisdictions.
- Increase transparency and accountability in the tropics.
- Protect and improve the rights of indigenous peoples and local communities in tropical forest countries.
- Innovate solutions towards reducing pressure on forests from global commodities and financial markets.
In short, the primary purpose of the NICFI Program is to support reducing and reversing the loss of tropical forests, contributing to combating climate change, conserving biodiversity, contributing to forest regrowth, restoration, and enhancement, and facilitating sustainable development, all of which must be Non-Commercial Use.
To learn how more about the NICFI program, streaming and downloading basemaps please read the NICFI Data Program User Guide.
The NICFI Data has 3 User Access Levels:
- Level 0 - Open and Public Good: Public view-only access of the Visual Mosaics (historical and future mosaics) through Purpose Ally sites. (Purpose Allies are entities that engage the public on forests and land use monitoring, e.g Global Forest Watch).
- Level 1 - As Open as Possible: Access to download Surface Reflectance mosaics (historical and future mosaics) from the Planet Platform and via Planet’s integrations. User groups include Third Party Participants e.g. those individuals and organizations using the data in pursuit of the NICFI Purpose.
- Level 1 users can stream and download Planet Basemaps from multiple sources. Please read through the User Guide to find the tool that is most appropriate for your needs.
- Level 2 - Select Partners: Strategic partners defined by Norwegian Ministry of Climate and Environment who have access to Level 1 data layers as well as the underlying scenes from Planet and selected historical archive data from Airbus back to 2002.
If you need further support with the NICFI tropical forest & climate data program, please contact KSAT here: firstname.lastname@example.org.