Orders API (Beta)
Orders is still a beta product, and access to the API functionality is approved upon request. If you're interested in learning more, get in touch.
Activate & download Planet products in bulk
The new Planet API ordering service (Orders API) makes it easier to create pipelines to continuously ingest imagery for processing and analysis. Previously, it would take at least 10,000 API calls and continuous monitoring to activate and download 10,000 images. Now that same download can be achieved with only a few API calls.
Get Planet data delivered directly to your cloud storage
Our updated API and tooling supports cloud-native workflows. Specify a cloud destination in your API request, and data will be directly delivered to your cloud storage provider. Planet currently supports:
- Amazon S3
- Microsoft Azure
- Google Cloud Storage
Get notified by webhooks
Webhook functionality allows your backend services to be notified directly when your order is available.
Use raster tools to create Analysis Ready Data
This API release includes a "Raster Toolkit" for operations such as clipping, compositing, atmospheric corrections, and reprojecting. The toolkit also includes band math algorithms. You can combine individual tools into toolchains to produce a data set that is ready for analysis (Analysis Ready Data) in third-party toolkits or platforms. Planet hosts and runs the "Raster Toolkit" within its own scalable computational infrastructure.
The Raster Toolkit includes the following tools for converting raw data to Analysis Ready Data:
- Clip Clip a raster to a specified AOI
- TOAR Convert radiance products to top of atmospheric reflectance
- Tile Split an input file into a regular set of tiles based on a user described tiling system
- Composite Composite a set of raster files into one output
- Reproject Reproject, resample and rescale raster products to a new projected coordinate system, and resolution
- Band Math Apply arbitrary band math to produce derived raster products
If Orders API operations are used to reduce your organization's overall download usage, Planet will not reimburse or roll over unused download quota.
Understand benefits and watch for next steps
The benefits to migrating to Orders API are:
- no need to build and maintain infrastructure to support processing Planet imagery;
- faster bulk activation and delivery;
- support of cloud-to-cloud workflows; and
- reduced cloud costs -- computation, storage, development, and maintenance.
Planet's engineering team built the tools and cloud integrations documented here using an internal tools SDK. One of our next steps is to publicly release a Python-based version of this SDK so that developers like you can build your own tools and integrations.